We here at Watch This will not be posting a draft recap/season preview of the CWHL this year, because season/team previews suck to write and we don’t want to do them†. Personally, I am perennially in awe of people who manage to write well-researched posts about moves, prospects, etc etc., or even really any post at all, because I hate predicting the future and generally refuse to learn rosters until the players are actually playing. Having a work ethic is for suckers.
Anyway, here are some thoughts:
- Historically the Blades have been really good, but their team has been gutted and now consists of like, 2 Team Canada players and some dryer lint, and possibly a curse-controlled Hilary Knight, so maybe they’ll be bad? Maybe not though. Who knows.
- Brampton will continue to be an also-ran. This is a prediction based on history. Please don’t tell me if they actually drafted someone team-changingly amazing. My pride can’t take it.
- Speaking of drafting, Calgary drafted Hayley Wickenheiser: Canadian legend, multi-gold-medal-winning Olympian, member of the Canadian Walk of Fame…37-year-old? This one’s a bit baffling. Who knows how it’ll go! As we’ve established, not me. (Brianne Jenner, however, is someone to watch on Calgary.)
- The Stars are still the Stars. They’ll be in the final (probably).
OK that’s enough. For actual, substantive info, here are some links:
- The CWHL’s official release about the draft outcome.
- Along The Boards did a through breakdown of the draft
- Andrew Cardinale, who is covering the Blades for Stanley Cup of Chowder since Zoë left for greener, more Flyer-filled pastures, did a quick breakdown of how the Blades draft went.
- Pension Plan Puppets continued their foray into Brampton Thunder coverage with a draft recap.
- Ben Smith also covered the draft for Pension Plan Puppets, but with slightly more depth and actual quotes from players!
- Angelica covered the draft for Matchsticks and Gasoline, and wrote up how the Inferno did.
- Gunnar Carlson wrote up the Star’s draft for Habs Eyes On The Prize.
- Jared Brook wrote about the Star’s depth pickups, also at Eyes On The Prize
Have a good Wednesday. Stay safe out there.
† There will be previews of the NWHL, due to us having some new writers covering those teams. New blood! Less lazy blood! Somewhere a vampire is very excited.