This past season I was very excited to have worked directly with both the Head Coach and General Manager of the Boston Blades to provide analytics reports to help win games. I was able to develop a number of metrics based on the statistics tracked in the CWHL to assist with coaching decisions.
An interesting one is Close Goals For Percentage. This is a measure of the percentage of goals the player was on the ice for while the score was within one goal in the first and second periods and when tied in the third period. This helps to give a better idea of which players should be sent over the boards in tight games when you are looking for a win.
The table pictured below has the top 20 skaters on the ice for at least five total close goals listed by their Close Goals for percentage relative to their teammates.
The column headers are defined as follows:
- GP – games played
- tP – total points
- GFc – close goals for on ice
- tGc – close goals for and against on ice
- cGF% – close goals for percentage
- cGF%rel – close goals for percentage relative to their teammates
- Boston Blades – Kacey Bellamy
- Brampton Thunder – Leah Whittaker
- Calgary Inferno – Jenna Cunningham
- Montreal Stars – Marieve Provost
- Toronto Furies – Kelly Terry